Sorry I’ve been away for a while. I wasn’t planning on continuing this blog but I’ve been resurrected due to recent, disturbing news: according to POPCOM, there are only 23 contraceptives left on the market. CNN also reports that “This might be your last year to access birth control”. What does this mean for us?
- No more regular birth control that’s 91% effective.
- No more emergency contraception.
- No more pills to regulate Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
What are the options left? How do we deal with this? I’ve been trying to figure it out. Off the top of my head:
- Condoms. By 2020, they are all that will be left over the counter.
- Copper IUDs. There seems to be a nice little loophole here; since it’s non-hormonal, it’s not covered.
- Herbal alternatives? I will really need to look into this.
- Literally smuggling contraception into the country, thus opening up a black market.
More on this as it develops. Let’s hope the Supreme Court resolves this. I’ll be over at email@example.com if anyone needs me.